A.A. Bondy
American Hearts

Leaves in the Gutter

For What I Don't Become

The Thick of It
BBC America

Saddest Ghost Lamp

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Hey--Don't 50 Cent and the Game Have Records Out Right About Now?

Number of reporters the Times assigned to cover the assassination of an Iraqi judge and his son? One. Number they put on the 50 Cent v. the Game feud that resulted in gunplay outside the Hot 97 studios in Manhattan on Monday night? Five.

And man were they worth it. If you've ever played that game where you lull yourself to sleep by narrating manufactured rap-world disputes in the institutional, authoritative, and utterly uncomprehending language of a wire service, the Times has caught on. The choicest bits:

The first outbreak of gunfire occurred outside the studio of a radio station, Hot 97, at 395 Hudson Street, near Clarkson Street. Upstairs, 50 Cent, whose real name is Curtis Jackson III, 28, was speaking on Funkmaster Flex's evening program, repeating his claim that he gave Game, whose real name is Jayceon Taylor, 25, more than a little help on Game's debut album released last month, "The Documentary."


About 10 p.m., the police received a call that shots had been fired outside the building. Officers from the Sixth Precinct arrived and found a man from Game's hometown, Compton, Calif., Kevin Reed, 24, kneeling by the curb, directly in front of the lobby entrance, with his hands in the air and his shirt covered with blood, one officer said.

Three other men were standing nearby, all talking on cellphones, the officer said, and they later told the police that they had just been walking by and did not know Mr. Reed. For his part, Mr. Reed, who had been shot in the leg and suffered a graze wound to his side, told the police that he had been seeking an autograph. Mr. Reed later told the police that Game was present during the shooting, a police official said.


Besides their career tracks, mentorship under the producer Dr. Dre, gunshot wounds and troubled backgrounds, the two rappers share a publicist, Yvette Gayle. "We have no comment," she said. "No comment at all. Sorry."


Investigators were having some trouble piecing together exactly what happened because, according to the official, those involved in the incident were not being truthful.